Carbon reporting in France
In France, since the Grenelle II law (2010), the Environmental Code (article L229-25) states that all private organizations (employing 500 persons in mainland or 250 persons overseas) and all public organizations (employing 250 persons or spanning a population of 50,000) must perform their carbon assessment. Since 2016, it must be published on ADEME's dedicated platform. It must include Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions (Scope 3 being only recommended) and must be performed at least once every 4 years for private organizations and once every 3 years for public ones. The report must be submitted along with an action plan to reduce the assessed emissions.
Explore the data set
Regions and departments
All french regions and departments must perform 3-years carbon reportingView
Other public organizations
Other public juridical entities hiring at least 250 persons must perform 3-years carbon reporting.View
Private companies hiring 500 persons or more (250 or more overseas) must perform 4-years carbon reporting.View
Specialized private organizations
Specialized private organizations hiring 500 persons or more (250 or more overseas) must perform 4-years carbon reporting.View
Associations hiring 500 persons or more (250 or more overseas) must perform 4-years carbon reporting.View
Query the database by organization name, legal type and reporting or regulation status.Search
Data sources and versions
This website is based on open data. You can browse the source code we use to merge all the data sources we use at our GitHub repository. The following data sources are currently used.
- Greenhouse gases emissions reports submitted and published on ADEME's dedicated platform downloaded on 2022-12-17.
- SIRENE database of legal units and their establishments, as of 2022-12-01.
- INSEE's file of intermunicipality composition as of 2022-01-01.
- INSEE's file of legal populations (except Mayotte) by city in effect at 2022-01-01.
- INSEE's table of legal populations in Mayotte, as of 2017-01-01.
- INSEE's french activity classification (NAF) as of 2008-01-01.
- INSEE's file of juridical categories of legal units, as of 2018-07-01.